Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wow...look who walked in the room!

source
One time I heard something from Gary Smalley, a well known christian family counselor, that stuck with me. It was about how he and his wife would make it a practice to make a huge deal when their kids would come into the room. He would say "Guess what?!" (pause) "the smartest kid in the world just walked in the door!" or "I can't believe I get to be in the room of such an amazing young man of God!" or "Wow what a gift you are!" He went on to talk about how we also should make it a point to smile when they entered the room as well. This comes to mind quite a bit when I am busy or wrapped up in daily stress. I want my children to see me smile rather than scowling or so caught up in what I am doing that I don't notice that they walk in. Yes, no one is perfect and 'happy' all the time, yet what beautiful gifts our children are. Although they will never fully grasp how much they are loved, wouldn't it be great for them to see the joy in our face and then hear how excited we are that they are there. Just food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Hanging with Mom!