Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lifetime of Love

So in the news I have seen several stories of couples who have been together for 40, 50, 60 years and more! If you just think about what they have seen together, the invention and advance of automobiles, computers that started out the size of a room now the size of book, 10-15 different presidents, decades of crazy fashion, and headlines that would shock and awe 50 years ago that are now common in everyday conversations. Its such a testimony to marriage and the endurance of true love, to stand by each other through it all.
Just a few weeks ago a couple from the church I grew in passed away within a few days of each other after being married for 60 plus years. How amazing would it be to have your love story end that way, to have a lifetime together and then only be apart for a couple days. There is a story written by Nicholas Sparks called The Notebook that's about a couple who withstand the test of time and share a love story with a similar ending. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie I highly recommend it. As for a real-life story, who wouldn't want that kind of relationship? So what makes a marriage endure for decades? One couple who is celebrating their 80th wedding anniversary and that was honored as the Longest Married Couple said "It's very simple. It's give and take and compromise." So perhaps the ones to learn from are the couples who have more than a tolerance for each other, its the ones who cherish each other above all!
 source

3 comments:

  1. here here!!!! I totally agree. In fact that sounds like us! WE are best friends and each day with you is better than the day before. I can't imagine life without you. I LOVE YOU...LoVeMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard several stories of couples who had been married for a long, long time and then dying just days apart from each other. While it would be super hard on the children, I hope that if my husband goes before me, that I'm following right behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It's definitely a testimony of endurance. Marriage is very much a long marathon and so many couples are all to quick to simply "give up" when things get tough. There's one thing my husband has always told me when we were going through rough patches, "Divorce is never an option. Ever."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Hanging with Mom!